You will not be able to use RAO Synapse if any of the following applies to your computer's operating system:
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Any Macintosh operating system
Some documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have Acrobat Reader it can be downloaded by clicking here:
Questions or problems regarding this web site should be directed to Web Master.
Fuji Synapse PACS Installation Instructions
Table of Contents
- Print These Instructions
- Description of the Fuji Synapse PACS System
- Minimal Requirements
- Disclaimer & Synapse Use Agreement
- Configuration – Workstation and Internet Explorer
- Installation of Software
- Synapse Configuration
- Starting Synapse / User's Manual
- Uninstalling Synapse
Note: The following instructions use graphics from MS Windows XP Pro® and MS Internet Explorer 6. Instruction for MS Internet Explorer 7 and MS Windows Vista are in the Manuals and Forms Section. Installation of Synapse to Windows 2000 is similar. Installation to Windows 95 and 98 are not recommended.
Please Print These Instructions - Installation of the Fuji Synapse software may require the user to reboot his/her workstation. Before beginning the installation process please print these instructions for use after rebooting.
The Fuji Synapse PACS client is a fully functional and operational PACS program for the purpose of viewing patient studies; including images, notes and reports from anywhere in the world with Internet access. As the patient database grows, it will be possible to view all of a patient's previous studies, as well as comparison these studies to the current study. Use of this software makes it possible for multiple clinicians to discuss a particular case, even if miles apart, while simultaneously viewing the same study.
Radiology Associates of Ocala's Fuji Synapse PACS can be used from any computer with Internet access, although performance of the software is dependant on several factors. We recommend the following minimum configurations:
- The Fuji Synapse software operates on the Microsoft Windows ® platform, with MS Internet Explorer®. Minimum requirements include:
- Pentium III processor @ 500MHz or faster
- 256MB RAM
- High Speed video card that supports at least 1024x768 in 32bit color.
- High resolution monitor with at least 1024x768 at 32bit color.
- MS Windows XP and MS Windows 7. MS Windows 8, Macintosh and other operating systems are not supported
- MS Internet Explorer 7 or higher. Performance with other Internet browsers is not supported at this time.
NOTE:This configuration will support images of "clinical" quality, meaning a lossy compression of ~30:1 or better. It is not sufficient for independent diagnosis of patient exams.
Internet Connection - A broadband (high speed) connection of at least 512kbs such as wireless Internet, cable or DSL. Fuji Synapse PACS is not recommended for a 56K POTS (telephone) connection.
Disclaimer & Synapse Use Agreement
By downloading and installing the Fuji Synapse Client software, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth in this agreement. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions, do not download and install the software.
Authenticated Users - The Fuji Synapse Client allows the user to view patient radiological studies and reports from Radiology Associates of Ocala and its affiliated partnerships (Medical Imaging Center, Medical Imaging Center at Windsor Oaks, Women's Imaging Center and TimberRidge Imaging Center). The user is bound by all appropriate HIPAA compliance standards. Any violation of these standards is grounds for immediate termination of user privileges. Additionally, the authorized user agrees to not disclose any assigned usernames and passwords to unauthorized personnel and to employ reasonable security means to protect such usernames and passwords. The user also agrees to notify Radiology Associates of Ocala's IT staff of any potential violations of security and any unauthorized use of the Fuji Synapse client software.
Secure Connection to Radiology Associates of Ocala - Access to the Radiology Associates of Ocala Synapse PACS is done through a secure server at Radiology Associates of Ocala (SSL). Any detected attempts to access the system without authorization may result in criminal prosecution.
- Warranty - Radiology Associates of Ocala is not responsible and makes no warranty for the quality of images or the quality of the Internet connection that the user employs. Furthermore, Radiology Associates of Ocala makes no warranty as to any effects that the use of the Fuji Synapse software has on the users' workstation(s). The software provided for downloading is as is.
In no event shall Radiology Associates of Ocala be liable for any lost revenue, profit or data; or for special, indirect, consequential, incidental or punitive damages (however caused and regardless of the theory of liability), arising from the use of and/or inability to use the software; even if Radiology Associates of Ocala or its suppliers are notified of the possibility of such damages.
Username & Password
– If you haven't already received your login credentials you must read, sign and fax the attached agreement to 352.671.4393. You will be issued your PACS credentials by voice or US Mail. Credentials shall not be e-mailed. When you receive them, place them in a safe place and do not let anyone else use them. Unauthorized use of your credentials may result in suspension of your access.
Configure Windows and Internet Explorer - Before installing Synapse, it's a good idea to configure Windows and Internet Explorer for optimal results. If you are unsure of how to do this, please consult with your IT personnel.
Note: These instructions were done using Internet Explorer 6. For instruction to configure IE 7 please click here.
- Open Internet Explore, Click on tools and select Internet Options.
Under the General tab,
- Delete all cookies
- Clear the Temporary Internet files folder. Check the "Delete all offline content" before clicking OK.
- Set to 0 (zero) days in your Internet history and click Clear History.
- Under the settings for your Temporary Internet files, set the cache to 1024MB or higher.
- Under the Security tab, click on the Custom Level button for Internet and scroll down to the Miscellaneous setting. Set the "Display mixed content" to enable, and then click on OK. Do the same for the Intranet settings.
- Under the Privacy tab uncheck Block pop-ups
Under the Advanced tab
- Under Browser uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"
- Scroll down to Security and check the setting for "Empty Temporary Internet File folder when Browser is closed" option and enable this. Click on OK.
Once you receive your username and password, please go to the Radiology Associates of Ocala Synapse download page at https://ssl.pacs.raocala.com
You may be prompted to install ActiveX. Click on the yellow bar under the toolbar and select Install ActiveX
If you are prompted with a dialog box such as one of the two below that asks you to trust content from Fuji Medical Systems, click on the box that says, "Always trust content..." and then Yes or Install. You may be prompted twice for this.
Close out of this screen at the X at the top right hand corner of your screen.
You will be prompted to type in your username and password. You will need to use the following format, using your own username and password:
- pacs\"insert username here" (e.g. pacs\john.doe)
- Click on the large Synapse button to begin the download.
- You will then see this screen:
- When the download is complete you should see this:
- Click in any blank area on your main Windows desktop, then press F5 to refresh the screen. You should see the Synapse icon appear:
- Right Click on the Synapse icon and click on Properties. You may be prompted for your username and password, so enter it as you did before. You should then see the following dialog box:
- Make all of your settings match what you see in the picture below, including the options for using secure encrypted communication and enable pre-caching.
- Click the Name button and change Synapse to RAO
- Then click on the Synapse View Settings tab. You should see the following dialog box, Make all of your settings match what you see in the picture below and click on OK.
- You can now start Synapse by double clicking on the icon on your desktop. You will see the next window. Double click the computer icon next to RAO.
- You should then see the Synapse folders as follows:
- The referring doctor will want to be most familiar with the "Studies for Referring Access" folder where individual patients can be looked up by name. Double click this folder.
- To search for studies types the patients last followed by comma then the first name.
- To access the study double click the folder for the studies.
- The entire user's manual can be found under the help menu at "Synapse Help". It's in handy HTML format to provide easy navigation:
We encourage all users to read the User's Manual to become familiar with Synapse and its functions.Back to top
- You may remove the Synapse software by using Windows Add or Remove Software Programs in Control Panel.
- You will see a warning message. Click on OK.
- After removing Synapse, you will be prompted to delete the Synapse files in your C:\Windows\downloaded program files or C:\WinNT\downloaded program files. Click on OK.
- You will see a windows such as the following:
- You will not be able to delete the Synapse files at this time. You need to restart the computer before proceeding.
- After restarting, click on Start, Run, type C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
- Delete the Synapse Medical Imaging Workstation and SynapseInstallHelper Class
This page contains answers to common questions, along with some tips and tricks that we have found useful and presented here as questions. Click on the Hyperlinks below.
- How much time is require for installation? Typically Synapse takes an average of 30 minutes to an hour to install.
- How do I log into Synapse?
- How do I clear my Internet Explorer Cache?
- Where can I find more information on the functionality of Synapse?
- How do I have an employee added as a RAO Synapse User? Follow this link to RAO Synapse User Agreement. Have the user read, complete and sign. Fax the complete form to 352.671.4396 ATTN PACS Admin.